Friday, November 20, 2015

One Little Light


I have always wanted to visit France. I studied ballet as a girl, I took French in high school, my family used to celebrate "Quatorze Juillet", french independence day. I want to stay in a little house in Provence and visit the lavender fields, while I carry fresh bread from the bakery in my basket. I want to shop in a Paris flea market, and eat chocolate with croissants outside a cafe. I dream of strolling down the Champs Elysees in my ballet flats and full skirt. I want a "Roman Holiday" like Audrey Hepburn, but in France. 

The terrorist attacks in Paris last week made my heart sink. I was sad, and angry, and hurt. How could someone do this to my friends I haven't met yet? 

Fourteen years ago I nursed my baby and cried as I watched the attacks on the world trade center in New York City on September 11. It was a scary time and I can only imagine that the people of France feel that same fear and sorrow. 

Monday night at dinner my family sat in the dark. We couldn't see anything. My little guy pushed a plate off the table as he reached for me. We talked about how dark and scary it was to sit without any light. We compared the darkness to the evil in the world. It can make life dark and uncertain, and sometimes people can't find their way. We sat and talked for about ten minutes in complete darkness. Then I took out a little votive candle and lit it. What a difference one little light made. It pushed away enough darkness that we could see a face or if we held it up high, a path to follow. 

Amid the darkness of the world we can be one little light. Each kind word we share, good deed we perform, or act of service will light the path that leads to greater light, "the light of the world", even Jesus Christ. 

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones